15/04/07

Mark Hutcheson, A CUP OF COLD WATER


[A cup of cold Irish sea water at dusk. Foto di Marzia Poerio]


Remember your Creator
in the days of your youth,
before the days of trouble come
and the years approach when you will say,
"I find no pleasure in them"
.

ECCLESIASTES 12:1


Most mornings, Susan, when I come to class,
You're here already, writing, studying hard,
Labouring to break beyond each stern impasse
Of English. So for you this birthday card.

"My mood is bad"‚ you tell me every day:
No job, strange culture, family and friends
In China. Arduous your chosen way,
I hope this cup of water courage lends.

You are a lily of the valley, grace
And loveliness are yours, add faith to them.
Now like your namesake with the Lord set face
And start to walk towards Jerusalem,

The end of all our walking. Carpe diem
As you go, as well respice finem.


[Mark Hutcheson]