15/03/07

SHAKESPEARE, William, SONNET 87



[The statement. Foto di Marzia Poerio]
















Farewell! thou art too dear for my possessing,
And like enough thou know'st thy estimate:
The charter of thy worth gives thee releasing;
My bonds in thee are all determinate.
For how do I hold thee but by thy granting?
And for that riches where is my deserving?
The cause of this fair gift in me is wanting,
And so my patent back again is swerving.
Thyself thou gavest, thy own worth then not knowing,
Or me, to whom thou gavest it, else mistaking;
So thy great gift, upon misprision growing,
Comes home again, on better judgment making.
Thus have I had thee, as a dream doth flatter,
In sleep a king, but waking no such matter.


SONETTO 87

Addio! Essere troppo caro perché io possa averti,
con ogni probabilità sai preventivarti:
gli investimenti su di te scadranno;
il tuo valore determinato ti proscioglierà.
Sei tu a permettermi di trattenerti.
In cosa, per questo bene, ho saputo meritarti?
È a me che le tue esclusive torneranno,
manco di ciò che ti motiva alla liberalità.
Hai concesso senza sapere di valere,
oppure, nel darti, c'è stato un errore;
il tuo bel dono cresce al deprezzarlo,
te ne riappropri quando ragioni meglio.
Ti ho avuto come in un sogno che, per adularlo,
ha illuso un re nel sonno; non ero re al risveglio.

[Traduzione di Roberto Bertoni]


William Shakespeare: noto soprattutto per le opere teatrali, tra cui HAMLET, MACBETH, MIDSUMMER'S NIGHT DREAM, ROMEO AND JULIET, THE TEMPEST, rappresentate spesso in molti teatri del mondo.