03/08/08

Santiago Montobbio, PARÁBOLA Y CENIZO

1.

PARÁBOLA DEL DISTRAÍDO DE TODO
MENOS DE LO MÁS HONDO DE SÍ MISMO

Tengo mucha imaginación, pero en general no la uso.
De mi propio infierno no huyo.

Para qué va a contar uno historias
que no tengan que ver con uno:

en todo dolor hay algo mío.


PARABLE OF THE ONE DISTRACTED BY EVERYTHING
EXCEPT THE DEEPEST PART OF HIMSELF

I have much imagination, but in general I do not use it.
I do not run from my own inferno.

Why tell stories
that have nothing to do whith me:

in all pain there’s something mine.

(Translated by Kathleen Kirk and Tony Rio)



2.

CENIZO COMO DE PROFESIÓN HE SIDO
he de decir no obstante
que conocí la vida, que recuerdo miradas
con vocación de lagos y también el modo
en que volvías crecida
para mi amor la dicha, aquella
campana oscura
que no teníamos
y la extraña risa
de la vida en
vida.
Después la derrota no nos deja ni cornisas
y así resulta que el ser (que sólo
es ser con otro) para siempre
es sido.
Pero aunque muy común se hace en él
la cobardía del olvido
todavía alguna tarde
madrugadas tengo
si en tu nombre abrazo
lejanías.


A BRINGER OF MISFORTUNE BY PROFESSION
yet I can say
that I have known life, I remember looks
that could have swelled to lakes, the way
you nurtured happiness,
returned it for my love –
dark bell
we never owned,
mysterious laughter
of the life in
life.
Now even the cornices have crumbled
and being (which can only be
with others) for evermore
has been.
But though a cowardly forgetfulness
is spreading through it all,
some evenings I can still
possess the dawn,
embracing in your name
the distances.


(Translated by Rod Riesco)